to Liberia: down a busy road - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2017

to Liberia: down a busy road

"A sign of returning to civilization" Patrick jokes when 24 kms from Liberia along with the distance sign there is a sign for Walmart.

Another "at first daylight" start to beat the heat and the probable thunderstorm this afternoon. This is especially a nice time to have a roll in, roll out room. Our laundry dried overnight with the help of the fan, in hot humid climates that's sometimes hard to do. We arrived yesterday with soaking wet clothes and the day before our clothes were sweat soaked, so might as well wash them and hope for the best. If they stay wet, at least it's a clean wet.

The traffic seems to be busier today and the road still has a narrow shoulder. We just keep pedaling and the temperature gets hotter. The landscape is green and Rachel is back to photographing cows. One interesting sight was a solar panels farm in the making. We counted down the kilometers by the Walmart signs, there was some thought briefly that maybe we could find a small keyboard for the laptop, only the store was still under construction.

We reach a main intersection with a McDonald's, Subway, Quiznos, Papa John's, KFC, and Burger King. The first hotel we check is too expensive, the second one cheaper, but no WiFi so we continue to Posada del Tope. This a family run hotel and has a quirky garden, shared bath, clean room with mosquito nets and friendly helpful owner. The WiFi wasn't working for us in the room and he worked at fixing it until it was fixed. The storm yesterday created water problems for the city, he was upfront about that water wouldn't be back until after 4pm. That was disappointing not be able to shower, but we had enough water to do a small sponge bath before heading to Subway for lunch.

We do some shopping, tomorrow night we plan to stay at a "finca" in the boonies where we'll need our own food. Just after lunch and finishing the shopping, the rain started. We waited outside the market until the rain lightened up, then continued on back to the hotel, the rain felt good.

For dinner we walk back to the main road and, shame on us, go for a Big Mac meal. We are back to getting familiar foods.

Typical landscape today. Green fields and trees, mountains on the horizon....and cows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green fields
Heart 0 Comment 0
Solar farm under construction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy on a bull.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical street scene in village we pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick already found a Panama and Nicaragua license plate for his garage collection. No luck so far on the Costa Rica one, so he checks out this junkyard. The shady owner smells an opportunity and wants money.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sugarcane fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first Walmart in years. Don't know whether to laugh or cry..... First of all: at home we don't shop at Walmart. And second, even if we did, these signs predate the store that is still under construction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Posada del Tope, near the city center. Cheap and quirky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garden at the Posada del Tope.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room at the Posada del Tope.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Communal sink at the Posada del Tope.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 32,822 km (20,382 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0