to Li: finding the small roads - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 10, 2016

to Li: finding the small roads

Yesterday was about getting out of Chiang Mai, the second biggest city in Thailand and just down the road. Today, the first part was meandering through back roads and villages even finding a fancy coffee shop in a small village. The iced cappuccino that costs 70 in Chiang Mai costs half that here.

We find our way through orchards and past gilded temples to the 106 highway, from there it is a straight shot to Li. The last 50kms become more of a struggle. Patrick is not feeling well with a cold and coughing fits. The road is undulating with the downhills not helping much with the up in the uphills. And in some sections the wind was not our friend.

In Li we stay at the Ingpha Resort, a very nice place right in the center of town. The bungalows are set in a spacious garden, and the 500 baht per night even includes breakfast. Rachel goes out to the 7-11 for drinks and snacks. Sprite for Patrick, a beer for Rachel. The cashier doesn't ring up the beer, it is only sold from 11-2 and after 5 until midnight, the time is two thirty. So a cold green tea will have to do. Rachel also went in search of a pharmacy and found a nyquil-like pill that should help suppress Patrick's cough and help him sleep.

It takes us a while to find dinner though, there aren't any real restaurants, the eateries in the market have all closed down or are only serving take-away in little plastic bags. Finally we find a streetside cart that serves an okay vegetable fried rice. We wonder if we are a little too early for the real nightmarket, but it sure feels like this town is shutting down for the night at 6:00.

Friendly lady at a nice coffee place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finding our way on the minor highways. Much more fun, but not always the fastest route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick wonders what Planning & Zoning would say if you'd propose something like this in your backyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ricefields. We notice more of a haze hanging in the air.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roof lines of yet another temple complex.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bungalow at the Ingpha Resort. We love these roll-in rooms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No need to unload, just carefully roll in and make sure not to do any damage to walls or furniture. We do not want to spoil this for future cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mystery meat sticks at the Li market. We stick with fried rice.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 89 km (55 miles)
Total: 25,956 km (16,119 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0