to Leymebamba - 2200m: "zona de neblina" - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 10, 2017

to Leymebamba - 2200m: "zona de neblina"

"Look at that chicken" Rachel says, then adds, "life is hard up here." We are again enveloped in fog. A couple of kms from camp, we go through the town and see that the school had a nice flat soccer field that would have worked as a camping spot. We figured out that our campsite was at 2940 meters, higher than we thought.

We climb 17km to 3600 meters to Calla Calla Pass, the grade being just right to get into a rhythm, there are more waterfalls and water channels across the road. Then a long downhill to Leymebamba and again the landscape changes. As we descend, the fog lifts slightly and we get some views of the vast greeness. We reach the Museo that is about 5km from town and stop to check if it is open tomorrow. Today we keep going because we are anxious to get to town and a hot shower.

Arriving at the plaza, we first check out Hotel Casona, and find a ludicrous asking price of 230soles (US$65). We return to the plaza and check out the La Petaca. For 50soles, we have a big room with a balcony overlooking the plaza, hot water shower and free WiFi. It's noon and we go next door to LucyBell for a set menu. The "Bistec" is a huge piece of brisket with fries, rice, salad and fried plantain. That with a large bowl of soup and it is too much for us.

The hotel has a washing machine and they have no problem doing a load for us, so we quickly get laundry started so that the clothes will have time to dry.

Not half an hour after we are settled in it starts to rain. We enjoy the afternoon with a beer in our room overlooking the Plaza.

Tomorrow a rest day and a visit to the museum.

Our campsite the next morning. Fog has filled the valleys.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yellow flower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We continue up, a few views but mostly clouds and fog.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The scraggliest looking rooster we have ever seen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our road and steep farm fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We reached the summit of Calla Calla Pass!
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the other side we descend into green pasture land. Back to cows, milk and fences.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rain makes everything so green.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So green it hurts your eyes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our road twisting and turning down into Leymebamba.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find a nice budget hotel on the Plaza.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 28,933 km (17,967 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0