To Langebaan: headwind and crazy drivers - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 13, 2015

To Langebaan: headwind and crazy drivers

"Langebaan is known for wind" Nick and Vicky, Warmshowers hosts, say when we arrive a little later than expected. We left early this morning expecting to beat the wind...it didn't work. The wind had already started blowing in our faces. We stopped at the junction of the turnoff to Langebaan at the gas station and had a small second breakfast at Wimpy's. Then continued on into town, another 15kms.

The ride pushing against the wind quickly becomes a faded memory. We are welcomed into Nick and Vicky's home and the entertaining conversations begin...and the instant connection that traveling and cycling creates. They had traveled by Land Rover in 2010 from London to Capetown before settling here in Langebaan. They are now part of the official WS network, the first hosts coming down the West coast, but have been the informal hosts for many traveling by bike, boat, motorcycle, overlanders.

We are two days away from cycling into Capetown and staying with them is a great way to end this stage of our trip. We shared stories and seemed to eat and drink for most of the rest of the day.

Crossing the Berg River near Veldrif we see flamingos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nick and Vicky are our warmshowers hosts in Langebaan. We spent the afternoon talking, eating, drinking, eating some more, drinking some more. Nick even finds Duvel beer in the local store!
Heart 0 Comment 0
After eating our appetizers outside we move inside for the main course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our bedroom window over the luxury, mostly vacation homes in Langebaan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset over the Lagoon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 km (29 miles)
Total: 10,588 km (6,575 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0