To Lake Elementaita: A banda for us tonight - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2015

To Lake Elementaita: A banda for us tonight

Easy day of riding, we make good time gaining 100meters on a flat hill with only a few short climbs. The road is busy with traffic, but a good shoulder.

Rather than push on and rushing to arrange a tour of Nakuru National Park, we stop for the day about 30 kms from Nakuru. We will then get to Nakuru early tomorrow. We are looking for Camp Flamingo only to find out that it had been sold, so we go back to Camp Mwewe. We had been seeing signs for this camp, advertising for overlanders (the big overland trucks that take large groups the length of Africa).

The camping spot doesn't look so good, and a Banda seems to be a better value. We settle in, have a beer and watch a thunderstorm build over the Lake.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Coke break at a roadside stall. Rachel shows people our equator photo from 21 years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy by the side of the road selling plants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We decide to rent a banda for the night, instead of camping since it is only a little more. A banda is a shelter with a hard sided bathroom and roof, but a tent with fixed beds under the cover.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The banda was a good choice, later in the afternoon a thunderstorm passes over us and the lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 5,029 km (3,123 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0