to Lake Baringo: crossing the equator - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2015

to Lake Baringo: crossing the equator

"Thank goodness for fences around schools" Rachel says. Packed and on the road by first light, we are on a secondary road that parallels the busy main road. The first 9kms we climb about 100 meters, then a gentle flat downhill for 30 kms. All along the road are primary and secondary schools with kids playing in the yard. We would be spotted and the kids shout "muzungu, muzungu" and run to the fence waving.

People are so friendly, we say jambo (hello) to almost everyone we pass. We reach the equator and stop at the sign for a photo. The sign looks the same, but the 1994 photo was on the road to Thompson Falls. Rachel buys a set of small salad servers with zebras carved on the handle and a beaded spoon from the curio shop lady who took our picture for us.

One rest stop, Patrick causes quite a stir when he pulled out the tablet to look at the gps. First, a few come over to look, then a few more, and pretty soon there was quite the crowd.

We arrive in Marigat early afternoon, with the promise of a cold beer, rather than stay in Marigat, we continue on to Robert's camp, another 18 kms. The road turns to dust and rocks, potholes and broken asphalt, we will have to backtrack to Marigat to continue on our route to Uganda.

Lake Baringo has also had the water level rise, devastating the tourism here. Robert's camp is still nice but has suffered with the loss of the lake shore. There are two muzungus at a table in the resturant working on a computer and camera gear. Peter, a Brit and Tyler, an american from Memphis, are working on a documentary of a group of Kenyan runners and the"Champions Walk for Peace". Check out their Facebook page.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Trying to drum up some business.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Re-creating our photo from 21 years ago.
Heart 2 Comment 0
craft sellers at the equator site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Using the tablet and GPS at a rest stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last 20km along Lake Baringo to Roberts Camps are rough and dusty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Baringo in sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 117 km (73 miles)
Total: 5,176 km (3,214 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0