to La Libertad: Just a short day - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2017

to La Libertad: Just a short day

Today will be a short day to set us up for a five day run to Palenque. We could have chosen to make today much longer and get to Poza de Macho, but that would probably wear us out on the first day of this run. An added benefit is that after yesterday’s early start we get to sleep in today and go enjoy a breakfast out. Rachel has an “Obama” breakfast with eggs, bacon, pancakes and fruit, while Patrick sticks to something a little lighter with only pancakes and fruit. He picked up something in the first meal we had here in Flores and needs to avoid greasy foods on a queasy stomach.

After a little more internet time, we haul our gear downstairs and start riding again. We are leaving about the time that we would usually be arriving at our destination. First, we go over the bridge off the Isla Flores, then, through San Benito before starting to climb the biggest hill for today. About halfway we pass through a town, find a gas station and stop for a cold drink. It is scorching hot, a disadvantage of our late start, but that changes fast. A thunderstorm unleashes a downpour that soaks us. The temperature is just right though. The rain continues for the next 18 km until just before reaching the town.

We pass by a hotel as we enter La Libertad, but we decide to check out the rest of the town first. When it appears the hotel we saw first might be the best one in town we back track, only to find that the good looking hotel is closed. At the main park is a “green” Hotel Plaza, recommended by the Shaw’s. They had stayed at the Oriental Hotel and didn’t recommend that one. There also is another Hotel Manja Blancha but we don’t know how far on the other side of town it might be. (Edited next day: Manja Blanca hotel is 2 kms out of town, isolated for food).

Hotel Plaza has decent rooms with bathroom and AC for 120Q, about $17. Next door is a small restaurant, Ruby’s Pizza that makes nice burritos. A little further up the main road is a very nice Mexican restaurant with awesome tostadas. We are definitely nearing Mexico!

Woman and girl selling fruits along the road. Rachel buys some for our food break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Googlemaps shows a possible shortcut on the way to La Libertad. Other cyclists advised against it; the main road goes through San Francisco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first hotel we see when we enter La Libertad looks the best. But it is closed for business.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Next stop at the "green" hotel. Hotel Plaza is right at the central park and has okay rooms for a good price.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hotel has a central area where we can lock up the bikes. Our room is the door behind it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Libertad street scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many shops have these antiquated gamble machines. They seem popular with the locals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Libertad street scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Libertad has many bicycle taxis.
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Libertad street scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the evening there is a football game going on in the park. Many of the players are bicycle taxi drivers that still have enough energy after a day of pedaling.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 34,081 km (21,164 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0