to Kutna Hora: leaving Prague - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2015

to Kutna Hora: leaving Prague

We say goodbye to Carlos, he is a great warmshowers host and friend. He really added to our rest days by showing us parts of Prague we would otherwise have missed...especially the tank beer!

We followed a direct route to Kutna Hora and the traffic was very busy, sometimes a good shoulder, other times not. Rachel has not had many problems with her bike other than punctures. Today though while trying to catch Patrick's bike from falling while he was taking a picture, her bike fell and broke the right brake pivot point. Patrick left a box of spare parts at home and had previously talked with neighbor Jeff about possibly needing his help in sending parts to us. Patrick has contacted Jeff (through Christine)with the request to send the needed part to a warmshowers host we will be with in a few weeks.

Arriving early in Kutna Hora at the campground gave us the afternoon to explore the city.

Slowly climbing away from Prague we see the suburbs skyline disappearing behind us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canola fields and cherry trees are in bloom
Heart 0 Comment 0
A colorful country side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small town on our way east from Prague.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blooming cherry trees and small villages dot the landscape
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Kutna Hora we visit the "Church of the Bones" or Sedlec Ossuary. The cemetery chapel dating back to the end of the 14th century. It is decorated entirely with human bones from 40,000 people. The request at the entrance, after paying a fee of course is to "respect" this place. We're not sure about the whole thing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A chandelier created from bones and skulls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the more graphic scenes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Kutna Hora. Beautiful buildings and very few tourists.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The UNESCO cathedral of St. Barbara is built in Gothic architecture started in 1388 and finally completed after 500 years of building in 1905
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking along the ramparts of Kutna Hora.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 1,298 km (806 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonI loved our brief stay in Kutna Hora, or first stop after we left Prague on our way to Paris 25 years ago. But did you see my rain jacket? I think I left it on that wall outside Santa Barbara.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago