to Kumarhatti - 1600m: up into clean air and pine forests - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2016

to Kumarhatti - 1600m: up into clean air and pine forests

After all the hard work yesterday getting up to Nahan, with the snap of a finger, just like that, we lose the elevation, only to slowly regain on a very nicely sealed road and little traffic. "Have you noticed how clean the air is? I love the smell of pine needles" Patrick says. Today's ride goes through forest, mostly pine trees. We've definitely left the plains.

It's one of those days of cycling where for a long time you can see where you started, and can constantly see the road ahead to where you are going, winding around the deep valley on the hillside. We did a few sections of nice downhill, but most of the time we are climbing. The road seems to follow the contour lines and only a few times some steeper sections to the next contour line. The views are fantastic with deep valleys and foothills of the Himalayas. We stop for breaks at the many food stalls perched on the curves of the road.

Other possible ways to stage this section, rather than a 76km day and a 57km day or in one day of 133km, would be a staying at a guesthouse that looked decent at 34km from Kumarhatti, or 5km out a very nice looking guesthouse and restaurant. The last 5km is rough after a full day of climbing. We arrived in town and check into Hotel Millenium by 2:30pm. There is dinner buffet for 100 rupees, good price, downside it's not served until 7:30pm for we usually like to eat earlier.

Tomorrow Shimla and time for rest days and final planning for Spiti Valley.

After a short downhill from Nahan the road starts climbing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For the first twenty kilometers we can see Nahan behind us on the ridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Terraced fields cover the hillsides, not quite as extensive as Nepal though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A father and his two daughters waiting for the schoolbus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
To our south are the lowlands with their bad air and heat this time of year. Up here the air is noticeably cleaner and cooler.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel riding up the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick riding up the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of our many lunch spots today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reached the outskirts of Kumarhati, lots of apartments under construction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Settled into our room. It has been a while since we were able to just roll our loaded bikes in. Today no hauling our gear up three flights of stairs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 17,103 km (10,621 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0