to Komarno: we can still ride 100k under these conditions - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2015

to Komarno: we can still ride 100k under these conditions

Patrick stops just before a round-about in Komarno to locate the campground on the off line map he downloaded to the tablet. "We are at 98 kms, should we do a couple of loops to make it 100?" We locate the campground and begin the routine of setting up camp with pitching tent selecting a site next to a covered picnic table and near to a kitchen. We also have access to the thermal pool, so we set off to enjoy the warm water. Today is a Slovakian Holiday, and a big celebration is happening in the city center...a combination "Alive after Five" with a band playing and booths like a farmers market and art fair.

The day starts early, Jan thought our route choice would be ok today because of the Holiday. Only trucks carrying food will be allowed to be on the road. Jan rode with us for 23 kms to the main road we would take to Komarno. Sure is nice to have an escort and a nice break for Patrick to just being able to follow rather than constantly checking the route.

The road followed the Vah River, we could see a dike, but didn't know if there was a bike path on top of it, didn't matter as the road had long straight stretches and flat. In Sala, there was an orange "x" on the road sign to Komarno. We went ahead anyway and found the reason was road construction on a railroad crossing. No problem for a bike, Patrick carries his over the rails and as Rachel starts to carry hers, one guy out of the dozen watching came over to help.

The wind was kind to us today.

Jan Koprda is riding with us to show us the way out or Trnava.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time to say goodbyes. Jan and his wife Zuzana are another great example of the warmshowers hospitality.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stop for a nutella sandwich and small cups of strong coffee from a coffee café across the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road we want to follow south out of Sala is closed for work on the railroad crossing. We carry out bikes through and are rewarded with about 20 km of virtually traffic free cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing an old soviet arms display. Tanks and Mig fighter jets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mig fighter jet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First of May celebrations in Komarno.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For as ugly as the suburbs of Komarno are, the center is surprisingly nice with old buildings and new buildings built in the same style.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 100 km (62 miles)
Total: 1,717 km (1,066 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0