to Kitale: highlands, cornfields and saturday markets - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2015

to Kitale: highlands, cornfields and saturday markets

"I had my first intense Larium dream. We were gone only a few weeks, and I got my job back at HSA....but the office was full of Interior Designers." Patrick says. Rachel replies with "I almost needed my earplugs last night hearing the buzzing of mosquitos on the other side of the mosquito net."

We started taking the anti-malarial drug Larium 3 weeks before flying to Nairobi. The drug is known for the side effect of vivid dreams. We carry our own mosquito net with special nails and clothes line to hang if needed. So far, the guest houses have provided nets in good shape over the bed. In 1994, Patrick contracted Malaria in Malawi, so we are being extra cautious.

The road continues across the highlands as flat hills, sometimes riding uphill, sometimes downhill. There is a feel of getting into more of an agricultural area as we see cornfields all along the way.Yesterday, Rachel got a thumbs up from a policeman at a checkpoint and a "Hello, sweet pea". Today we got lots of thumbs up and anytime we stopped there was curiosity about where we were going.

The markets are difficult to explain in words...there is an intensity of activity with the stalls lining the side of the road. Fresh produce of potatoes, tomatoes, onions, greens, bananas and the biggest avocados ever! Lots of clothing hung up or just laid out on a sheet, clothes that look as if they had been donated and now being sold. Pots and pans. Dried fish.

The last 15 kms into Kitale, the hills became a little longer and a little steeper, but not real steep. Traffic became more congested, three-wheeled Tuk Tuk taxis were added to the mix of matatus and motorcycles, cars and trucks. The Bongo Hotel is basic but as usual in Africa, clean with very friendly staff. We have samosas and cokes delivered to us and relax the afternoon just as the thunderstorm breaks loose with a downpour.

Tomorrow, Uganda! Country number 14.

Tire store
Heart 1 Comment 0
Guys by the side of the road breaking rocks into gravel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Showing our equator crossing picture from 21 years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch break.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fish market by side of road
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 5,357 km (3,327 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0