to Kisoro: "a muzungu, give me money" - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2015

to Kisoro: "a muzungu, give me money"

"I think this is the result of all the high end tourism in this area," Patrick says. There has definitely been a shift in the children from curiosity and friendliness of shouting "how are you?" to "give me money" and an outstretched hand. The most unsettling is that this demand also comes from the adults. Over and over today, "A muzungu, give me money."

We are in the area where all the gorilla trekking goes on. To do a gorilla trek it's $700 per person hiking for hours and MAYBE seeing the gorillas for an hour. The locals know what muzungus pay....so why wouldn't they see us as being rich?

The first 20 kms today goes quickly with no major hills. From 20 to 40kms there were two climbs of 100-200 meters. At Muko starts a 7km climb gaining over 400 meters and we see views of the Lake. The good thing about climbs like this is looking forward to the downhill! This was awesome as we descend among the hills still forested, giving the sense of what the hills all around must have looked like before the deforestation and building of steep terraces.

The original plan was to stay at a camp at the top of the climb...until there was no camp. So we decide to continue on to Kisoro. "Do you want to know the profile to Kisoro?" Patrick asks, "No" Rachel answers, sometimes it's just best not to know. "There are three short hills." Patrick continues. "Define short."

The short hills were 1-2kms long, rewarded with awesome downhills. We are 3 kms from the town when there is a sign indicating the town is to the left and 5 kms. Checking the tablet, Patrick says, straight ahead the road crosses the runway for the airport..."let's ride while the gate is still open".

Tomorrow Rwanda! We've spent our Ugandan shillings down to having enough for one more rolex in the morning. Now it's on to figuring out a new country.

Morning fog on our way out of Kabale.
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we climb we get good views of the terraced hill sides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost on the high-point of today: a nice view over Lake Bunyonyi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Bunyonyi about 500 meters below us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can just about see the outline of one of the Virunga volcanoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 6,468 km (4,017 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0