To Khandwa: treat of a luxury hotel - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 29, 2016

To Khandwa: treat of a luxury hotel

Yawal Wildlife Sanctuary is in between where we are and where we want to go, so the route for the next few days is a bit convoluted. We left Burhanpur cycling by one of the city gates and along the old city wall. The first 20kms was gradually uphill.

Eventually skirting the eastern end of the Sanctuary where the "Ghat portions" begins. In this case the Ghat refers to a series of stairstep hills. The road gently S-curves up through drier rolling hills. In the distance we see a fort on top of hill, then we descend back to greener agricultural area. The tractor has been replaced by cattle pulling wagons. The trucks still have "Sound Horn" or "Blow Horn" on the back with an added phrase "use dipper". Not sure what that means.

We turned off SH 27 to a road into the city. Very nice until the last few kms with road construction still going on in sections. Patrick picked up a motorcycle shadow that stayed with him for a long time until we stopped. Patrick said "bye bye" to him and he took off.

Another chaotic ride into the city and to the Castle Inn Hotel wedged in behind the bus station and the road elevated to go over the railway. For 1600rupees, we are in a very professionally run hotel. It's one of the first where the room looks well made, nothing needs fixing or painted, yet still with countless number of electric switches besides each side of the bed, at the door of the bathroom and along the wall. Some switches appear to have no function at all!

And a great hot shower!

For lunch/snack, we order finger chips (french fries) and Veg Seekh Kabab through room service with no problem of them understanding us on the phone. We usually have to take the menu to the front desk or kitchen to order by pointing to the menu. Promptly delivered and delicious. With this good experience we also order room service for dinner. We tried a new dish, Kaju curry (cashew curry gravy), fried vegetable pilau rice and allo (potato) gobi (caulifower) Matar. Best of all free fast WiFi so Patrick was able to upload the pictures.

The ritual of finding the switch that turns off the light begins, sometimes clicking almost all of them. As we go to sleep, we can hear the occasional train whistle. Hoping this doesn't disturb us during the night.

This same photo was taken two years ago by another couple cycling this route. We saw at least half a dozen people, children to grown men, defecating by the side of the road, in fields or dry river beds. So we wonder why a nation that is building a nuclear powered aircraft carrier in Kochi cannot provide some kind of basic facilities for its poorest people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Potato snack at the Salsa restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room provides a view over the bus station. Except for a loud train whistle every once and a while the noise isn't too bad. We must be getting used to being in India.....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room service dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 13,636 km (8,468 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0