to Kayonza: on the move again - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2015

to Kayonza: on the move again

"I'm glad we are leaving on a Saturday, the traffic doesn't seem so bad" Rachel says climbing the hills to get out of Kigali. "It's been awhile since we've seen this flat of road" says Patrick.

The road did flatten a bit and the hills started to look lower. At 30kms from the city, we got our first "Muzungu" and at 35kms "give me money". How nice it was to have a reprieve from that while in Kigali.

At the top of the first long climb we stopped for a cold drink. The mother of one of the shops encouraged her little boy of about 3 yrs to go up to the muzungu to shake hands. Patrick did the fist bump with him as he giggled and ran away.

Rest days are great and needed on long tours. Getting back on the road again is also great. We reach our destination for today early afternoon as the thunderclouds were building.

Tomorrow will be a longer day to get to the border of Tanzania. Then the process of figuring out a new country begins again.

Heart 0 Comment 0
We can't quite figure out this statue, it seems like it is sponsored by a bank and depicts a couple handing out stacks of money. At least the couple aren't muzungus....
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the "Eastend Motel" in Kayonga, excellent samosas!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 6,772 km (4,205 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0