to Kalomo: More bush lands - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 22, 2015

to Kalomo: More bush lands

In SE Asia, many things are explained by the phrase "same, same but different". Today, "same, same but not different." For the first 30kms, there was nothing but the landscape. Very few houses, no people along the road or in the fields, no one riding bikes, only big trucks pass us. We continue to follow the railroad tracks, and the road doesn't vary much.

Soon after the halfway point we finally go through a town and take a rest break. Women are setting up their stands to sell tomatoes and onions. We marvel that no one is staring at us or asking for money. We eat undisturbed and interactions are on a more personal level.

We reach town and find a guesthouse only to be too early to check in...it's only 10:00 am. There is a restaurant and internet cafe at the junction of the main road, we go to for lunch. The menu is impressive with fajitas, tacos, hamburgers, pizza and the typical chicken and chips or rice fare. More impressive, they have what is listed on the menu! So many restuarants in Africa will give you a menu, you dutifully study what to order only to find out they "don't have".

We enjoyed chicken fajitas! The bonus.....an ice cream cone!

We stop here today because there is nothing between Kalomo and Livingstone. Tomorrow we'll make the final push of 120kms to Livingstone and enjoy a few days off the bike and seeing Victoria Falls.

"Let's get there!"

"Same, same, but not different"
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old steam tractor parked at a farm entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Mike AylingMore likely to be a stationary engine to run farm machinery from leather drive belts. Towed to where required by horses or bullocks.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Flat grasslands with lots of termite hills.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tomato sellers aplenty in this village.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These girls across the road know Patrick is taking their photo and do a little dance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pick your haircut.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dry grasslands, waiting for the rains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
"I don't like 'flea' fornication either."
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 8,265 km (5,133 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0