To Kalavi Beach: a new state and plenty of hills - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 5, 2016

To Kalavi Beach: a new state and plenty of hills

"We have four small hills and four tough hills" Patrick says. The first 20 kms are relatively flat until cross a bridge and we leave Goa. We are now in Maharashtra and the surface of the road becomes rougher. One stretch is more of a one lane asphalt road with a couple of feet of rough rock on either side as a shoulder. The tourists on motorcycles have essentially gone away, there is much less traffic.

We arrive at the turnoff for Kalavi Beach around noon. Another 3 kms and we are at the end of the road to a fishing village. There are no signs for Sita Beach Cottage, so we ask as we walk through the dirt path behind the houses and ask. People wave in a direction we are going, and say "past the well", then lead to the cottages. Govind Kelashar, the owner greets us, the room is 1000 rupees. There are two cottages, and friends of Govind are visiting and they offer to move into one cottage.

There wasn't much along the road to find a place to eat. One village we went off to check out the "Dutch Factory" only not to find it, then circled back to the main road, missing most of the village where there probably was a restaurant. Sitting out at the tables outside the cottage, the group was being served Idli. We also had some, then Patrick arranged for us to have a lunch about 2:30pm. And later dinner about 8:30, only dinner wasn't served until 9:30, a bit late for us.

We walked the beach and watched the sunset.

We cross several rivers today, each time the road rises and drops steeply.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting rice paddies are being prepared for planting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After climbing away from each river we end up on a dry barren plateau. Then the road drops again to the next river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find Kalavi Beach and Sita Beach Cottages. There are no signs and the fishing village at the end of the road does not even have streets. Just a collection of small houses perched between the palmtrees just up from the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our "cottage".
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fishing boats are launched every evening at sunset. Two or three guys fish for a couple of hours. Next morning before sunset they do it again. In between the boats are hauled high onto the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Preparing the nets for tonights outing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing boat launch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 12,437 km (7,723 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0