to Jutiapa: part on bus - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2017

to Jutiapa: part on bus

"Mondays cyclovia looks very different from Sundays" Rachel says as we ride out. In this area, we've seen many more local cyclists on bikes, heading toward town probably to work, no Lyra here. The bicycle is still viewed as transportation.

We are not very far down the road when a drizzle starts and builds to heavier downpour, then lightens up and stops, for awhile. When we stop for pupusas, there was a clap of thunder and a dark cloud approaching. The road is relatively flat to flat hills and we make good time to the border.

A quick stop at the immigration with no exit stamp but a piece of paper. Then riding across the bridge and a "welcome to Guatemala" sign begs for the obligatory photo. The entry into Guatemala goes quick too, for Rachel. We were at different windows, for some reason Patrick's passport was taken to the back, a long line started to form at his window, then the passport is given back as we wonder what that was all about.

Just like that we are in new country in need of a new currency. Where are the money changers when you want them? The plan is to catch a bus to Jutiapa. We cycle on a bit and see a few banks, one has an ATM and Patrick is successful in getting quetzals, 7Q to one 1 US dollar. Just across the street is a small bus that is going to Jutiapa, just not right away.

The ride goes smoothly, the road continues to be flat to the junction, then the climbing begins to Moyuta. There is a town before Moyuta that had tiendas, but we didn't see any accommodations. There were a few steep sections but mostly around 5%. Going through Moyuta, there was a downpour and heavy fog. The bus driver was sensible in his driving, surprisingly. After Moyuta, there was a nice downhill then flattens a bit with nice views and the valley. The bus first goes left a short distance to let off passengers at the junction with CA8, the back towards Jalpatagua. Here there is a short break for the driver. This town had several hotels and the auto "love" hotels continue.

We arrive at Jutiapa around 1pm, not much hassle reloading the bikes, and head to the hotel marked on the map. It's full, so we head back toward the shopping mall we saw coming into town. There is a big hotel sign, not a very nice looking entrance to a water park. There's a security guard with a shotgun and ammunition in a belt. The hotel is actually behind all this and the road goes around it. We push the bikes past the swimming pools to reception.

The bikes stay by the lobby, staff help carry up the gear. The room is big, TV, AC, and....wait for it....a hot water shower! And quiet, last night our room was by a bar and music played into early morning. After cleaning up we walk across the street to Taco Bell! We see military in the back of a truck. Earlier we saw two APC's driving down the road. Even the taco Bell has armed security.

Shopping for more supplies for the road we return to ham and cheese sandwiches with mustard and mayo. We are higher up and cooler temperatures so can carry different items.

Volcanoes to our north as we ride the last kilometers in El Salvador.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two volcanoes above the morning clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Girl fixing pupusas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pupusa stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikeshop across the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman wearing a colorful apron at the border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for a passengers in no-mans land between the border posts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Guatemala.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel at the immigration window getting her entrance stamp to Guatemala.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street scene while waiting for our bus to leave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two cowboys and a pickup truck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One cowboy and two bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Security at our hotel in Jutiapa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arena y Sol Hotel in Jutiapa.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 33,550 km (20,835 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0