to Jinghe: What's with the wind? - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2016

to Jinghe: What's with the wind?

We were lucky that the area we camped wasn’t flooded by irrigation water. A few of the ditches we crossed getting to the site now had water. Easy ride back to the expressway, even though we are early, the wind has already picked up.

We are in a large agricultural area of corn and cotton, vineyards and gourds that look ready to harvest but just lying in the fields as if abandoned.

Distance marker 4025 after a toll booth, there's a restaurant where we have a large bowl of soup, a shop and a nasty public toilet.

Other than that it is pretty much fighting the headwind for close to fifty kilometers. What is up with that? The prevailing winds are supposed to be from the west here! Luckily with our longer day yesterday we still reach Jinghe around noon where we find the hotel several CGOAB authors have stayed in before us. They must have figured us out though, the last couple spent 160 yuan for a room but they want 260 from us. No budging either. The room is nice though and Patrick has a cold and is not feeling well so we figure the expensive room will be offset by the last two nights of camping.

There is a supermarket down the road and plenty of places to eat. For lunch we have a fish sandwich with fries at a fastfood restaurant, for dinner a nice plate of stir-fry vegetables with peppers, mushrooms, celery and beef over rice or noodles at an Uighur restaurant.

Field full of what looks like abandoned gourds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Exit to Jinghe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Jinghe. Another town full of brand new apartment buildings and wide boulevards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large group of local cyclists. Only one speaks english though.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 21,488 km (13,344 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0