to Jackson: two passes - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2017

to Jackson: two passes

"There's ice on the tent" Patrick says as we wake up and start to pack. This is mostly because we didn't vent the tent and it is cold. We get breakfast done and packed up and head out. The day is crisp and clear which will help with the two big hills.

The first hill is a 21km climb gaining 484 meters over Badger pass. It's a slow gain at first with a little steeper toward the top. Traffic is light. The views of the snow covered mountains beautiful. All this missing from the summit are prayer flags like in Spiti Valley in the Indian Himalayas or Ovoos in Mongolia.

A food break at the top, then over 8km we lose 200 hard earned meters only to regain 421 meters the next 25km over Big Hole pass at 7400 feet. A second food break and then mostly downhill to Jackson. The hay bales, round and square have been replaced with giant haystacks.

Jackson is a quaint town, only a few blocks with a cafe, a gift shop and the Bunkhouse Hotel, a 107 year old building. There are private rooms though expensive and an upstairs open room with five double beds. We opt to camp out back under an awning. Dinner next door at Rose's Cafe. Just our luck that there is a TV room upstairs and there is Thursday night football on.

Treasure sitting in a field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pioneer Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pioneer Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pioneer Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pioneer Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
First summit of the day: Badger Pass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downhill off Badger Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found some road booty: a nice channelock pliers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hay bales on the other side of the Pioneer Mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ranch gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down the Big Hole Valley, the Beaverhead Mountains to our west.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Big Hole Valley with the Beaverhead Mountains to our west.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Haystacks in the Big Hole Valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Bunkhouse Hotel in Jackson has camping in the backyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checking in at the Bunkhouse Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite behind the Bunkhouse Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 40,360 km (25,064 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0