to Istanbul: mostly by ferry - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2015

to Istanbul: mostly by ferry

The sky is a gray overcast and it's windy, "glad we don't cycle today". When we arrived yesterday in Bandirma, first on the agenda was to buy a ferry ticket. We wanted to be on the fast boat at 09:30 and arrive in Istanbul at noon, rather than the 18:30 boat arriving in the evening. We were successful, and even better we could see the ferry dock from our hotel window!

We arrive in Istanbul and manage to cycle away from the dock and head for the main park in Sultanahmet area with the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. The streets are cobble stoned, narrow and steep, and one way. We are in the land of the tour buses, so we have to push our bikes up a short distance.

After finding our guesthouse and settling in, we go back to the mall and sit for awhile. Our backs are to the Hagia Sophia and we face the Blue mosque when the call to prayer begins.

The Bandirma ferry terminal right out our hotel window. This is the big-boat, a fast catamaran that takes vehicles and people. We will be on a smaller people-only boat tomorrow morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Do our bikes look worried back there? This boat is really moving, passengers are not allowed outside during the 2-hour ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived in Istanbul. The Hagia Sofia behind us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And across the street is the Blue Mosque.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 3,600 km (2,236 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0