to Hunedoara: Short day, tomorrow a rest day - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2015

to Hunedoara: Short day, tomorrow a rest day

"Bump...bump, pothole...pothole, bump...watch the edge" is the mantra.

The road construction and poor road surface continues. Drivers are aggressively impatient toward us, one car passing on a one lane road when there really wasn't enough room, and another passing toward us coming very close. Conditions improved when we turned off the "red road" onto a "yellow road". The big climb we had was the exception, a new road surface with shoulder helped us climb the switchbacks....then a gradual downhill.

We arrive to Hotel Ciuperca at noon. Patrick had made reservations through booking.com for two nights. After cycling for a week, we are really for a rest day. Booking ahead is new for us, in the past with a Lonely Planet, we would arrive at our destination for the day, look up in the guidebook and select a place to stay. It's a nice change to cycle to a specific destination.

After yesterday's rain it is foggy in the valleys this morning. While we climb over our first hill the clouds lift.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They have these weird altitude markers in Romania. Patrick's not sure to trust them, or the altitude on his odometer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downhill after our first climb of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
New church under construction. It looks like they are using gypsum block to build the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We are headed to the town of Hunedora and plan to take a restday tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,386 km (1,482 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0