to Huay Xay: long day for us - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 1, 2016

to Huay Xay: long day for us

"Seems like an awful lot of uphill in the downhills" Rachel says as we are on the third ridge crossing today.

We started early enough, hearing the morning music and propaganda lecture start-up in the distance behind us as we leave town. There is a heavy wet mist that steams up our glasses and condensation water drips from Rachel's helmet. We know we have many and steep climbs today.

Just didn't realize the climbs would start so soon out of town.

Rachel had drawn out the profile as in other days, but the hills don't seem to line up with the map. This might have been a day where not knowing what the road ahead was going to do would have been easier. We end up having to cross three ridges, and the downhills were not very downhill friendly. The traffic was not too bad until about 85km when on the last climb of the day the big rig trucks making the Thailand to China run seem to come out of nowhere. The road surface on the uphill has 20cm deep ruts in the asphalt.

We see the guesthouse mentioned by Don and Tina. We are still planning to make it "all the way". For campers there is also plenty of opportunity, either at the schools we are passing, or on the little "shade-shacks" farmers have put up in their fields to take breaks from the sun. Not sure where the concern about free camping in potential mind fields in Laos begins and ends. After the last ridge after we drop down to a town Phimonski we stop for a food and cold drink break. About 5km on, there is a guesthouse. We decide to keep going to make it to Huay Xay.

We arrive to the main area in Huay Xay and check into a nice room on the ground floor of a Guesthouse. Our bikes are locked up in the reception. For dinner we go to a recommended restaurant and have pad thai. We love that stuff!

Foggy morning on our way out of Vieng Phou Kha
Heart 0 Comment 0
Village with huge jungle trees behind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Village scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
103km to the Thai border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
River flowing through some nice jungle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses on stilts line the road in most villages.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman smoking a pipe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy checking Patrick's tire pressure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many fields have small shacks on stilts where the workers take breaks from the work. We heard of other cyclists using them to pitch their tent under, especially since landmines are still being found.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Children at one of our breaks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait, not sure what is up with the "pistol-pose" but several kids did the same thing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This little guy was all excited about seeing himself on the screen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There you are!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another pose.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful trees near Huay Xay.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 119 km (74 miles)
Total: 25,427 km (15,790 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0