to Huaraz - 3100m: riding along the Cordillera Blanca - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 17, 2017

to Huaraz - 3100m: riding along the Cordillera Blanca

“I thought it would never get light” Rachel says and Patrick agrees it was a rough night. But the day finally starts with us bundling up in many layers because it is cold and foggy.

The ride today is about losing elevation to 3100 meters and turned out to be mostly downhill but not without a few hills. Those hills seemed bigger today since this is the seventh day of cycling without a rest day. We start out in fog and hope that we will see the mountains sometime during the day as we follow the Rio Santa downstream. And we are rewarded. The mountain peaks slowly revealed themselves and we have great views.

When we reach Catac, we stop for a break and in a restaurant for an egg sandwich and coffee. The next town Ticapampa has an interesting church and plaza. Mining is very prominent in this area. The traffic is still relatively light until about 20km from Huaraz. We get to a plaza in Huaraz and check to see if we have internet so we can check reviews on different options for accommodations. We find the El Jacal backpacker’s hostel and check in for 75 soles a night. After cleaning up, we go out for a meal at an American run café that does very good breakfast burritos. On the way back to the hostel, we find a tour company that is open. It is mid-day and many shops seem closed.

We signed up for a tour tomorrow to the Huascaran National Park to see Pastoruri Glacier and to see the famous Puya Raimondii plants.

From Conococha we follow the Rio Santa valley towards Huaraz. Part of the ride is downhill, some sections are flat and there are also a couple of climbs that strain our tired legs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The thick fog from this morning is lifting. Beautiful peaks of the Cordillera Blanca become visible over green ridges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Way to our north are two huge peaks, we believe these are Huascaran, the highest peak in Peru at 6768 meters.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peaks of the Cordillera Blanca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding north along the Cordillera Blanca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peaks of the Cordillera Blanca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding north along the Cordillera Blanca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peaks of the Cordillera Blanca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peaks of the Cordillera Blanca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peaks of the Cordillera Blanca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peaks of the Cordillera Blanca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peaks of the Cordillera Blanca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small town plaza just before Huaraz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traditional houses and yucca plants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farmhouses along the Rio Santa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived in Huaraz. We finally have internet again and use our tablet to research our hotel options.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 28,115 km (17,459 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0