to Huacho: Nothing but desert - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 11, 2017

to Huacho: Nothing but desert

Sand and more sand, nothing but sand, and hills, and long straight stretches. For 58km there was nothing. No shops, no people to be seen, not even a view of the ocean. Fortunately, the wind was more or less in our favor, we are happy not to be going the other way.

Finally 10km from Huacho, there is a toll gate, a new gas station and a shop pratically empty. The shop had essentials though, cold water and ice cream.

After seeing nothing all day, the last stretch into town was a bit more populated and we got views of the ocean.

Taking the turnoff into town, we head for the Plaza D'Armas where there are lots of hotels showing on google maps. The traffic increases with mostly mototaxis. We stop a few blocks away from the Plaza on 28 Julio Ave. Patrick goes around checking various hotels as Rachel watches the bikes. Some places are very modern and expensive, and he finds Hotel Skorpio for 45 soles ($14) with friendly staff and off the main street. The downside: the room is on the fourth floor and (of course) no elevator.

We quickly shower and go next door to a Chifa Restaurant for lunch, and shop across the street for munchies and cold coke for the afternoon. Chifa's are very common in Peru, they serve a mix of Chinese and Peruvian foods. Late afternoon, the heat has let up and we venture out to the Plaza and the ocean.

Tomorrow is a short day.

Desert with hazy mountains on the horizon. The long buildings are part of poultry farms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For some reason there are lots of watch towers today. Almost every sad settlement or barren fields are surrounded by them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of trash and construction waste is dumped by the side of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sand dunes and far off mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road side shrine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another settlement surrounded by observation posts. It does not appear anyone is in them though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pan Americana Highway. There is no way we would want to cycle this all the way to Ecuador. One more day and we will turn east into the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A thirty kilometer straight stretch just before Huacho.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Adobe houses and a church near the ocean just before Huacho.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dealing with city traffic in Huacho. The little mototaxi's act like they own the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 27,847 km (17,293 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0