to Hpa-an: cyclists galore  - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 9, 2017

to Hpa-an: cyclists galore 

"Good morning" says the man driving the motorcycle with the side car that has a bench. A little later a motorcycle with a little girl on the back passes Patrick and gives him a thumbs up. Even further down the road another man on a motorcycle gives us a thumbs up.

All along the road are what looks like dish towels hanging over wooden poles. It is rubber drying. The elevation doesn't vary much and we make good time, stopping only once for snacks, arriving in Hpa-an around 10:30. We first check out the Golden Sky Hotel that had a very good review on a blog we read.The room though is very basic and tired looking for $25. Patrick looks on down the street and finds the blue and purple Guesthouse; Than Iwin Pyar for 18000 kyat ($15).

While waiting outside, Rachel spots a cyclist on an unloaded touring bike and talks with him. Ron, a Dutchman, is staying at the Golden Sky Hotel, not the one we checked out but across the street from that one but with the same name. Ron is cycling around SE Asia and had planned to ride all the way to Goa in India, but his back is bothering him to the point he has to re-evaluate his plans. He says there are two other cyclists at his hotel. In the lobby of the Than Iwin Pyar there are three other bikes as well.

Through "Smile Angel" a warmshowers host who lives in Kawkareik, we connected with Olga. She was born in Ukraine, studied and lived in Poland and has embarked on an open ended tour, check out her blog on CGOAB https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=18946. Later we meet Mike, a Brit living in Portugal. Olga knows two of the cyclists in our hotel, a French couple who Olga met with Smile. The one lone bike in our lobby, we never met the cyclist. We all went out for dinner.

Our visa for Myanmar runs out tomorrow so we will make a run for the border. The hotel arranged a taxi for us tomorrow morning.

Addendum: Check blogs on Myanmar, by Bill Weir https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=16868

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=487866

Pagoda in Thaton.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One more shot of Thaton pagoda. Patrick promises this madness will stop soon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We carried muesli and cornflakes from Thailand. Since so many hotels provided decent breakfasts we did not eat all and we are not going to carry it back to Thailand. So at a particular poor section of road, we give a bag of muesli to a little kid who promptly carries it back home to his mom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
River crossing between Thaton and Hpa-an.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monk who speaks very good English and wants to talk to us during our snack break. He has a cousin in Texas and likes Obama.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman filling bags with what looks like lime.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Karst mountains on the horizon. Spot the cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More karst mountains near Hpa-an.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hpa-an has a beautiful setting along the river, but the banks go mostly unused. There are no riverside bars like you would find in other Asian countries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The hotel we finally select. We have met a Dutch cyclist Ron who helps us carry our gear up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
River side in Hpa-an.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hpa-an at night. This might be our last pagoda shot for a while.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner with cyclists. Olivier and Emanuelle from France, Patrick and Rachel from Holland/US, Mike from Portugal/England, Ron from Holland and Olga previously from Poland. Olga also has a blog on CGOAB, she is on an open ended tour but knows she is not going back to live in Europe.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 27,134 km (16,850 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0