to Hanak: our first stay in an ogretmen evi - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2015

to Hanak: our first stay in an ogretmen evi

An early start gives us a great sunrise and gets us to Hanak by 12:30.

As we break camp, Patrick gives the 3 dogs and puppy that live at the restaurant some sausages that he is carrying in case we have a run in with sheep dogs. Then they followed us for a couple of Kms. When we first got out of the tent the dogs were sound asleep, no surprise as periodically through the night their barking surely saved us from whatever threat that might be out there. Our tour guide to Ani and the warmshowers member Cuneyd in Hanak both warned us to camp near people because of wolves. Our risk aversion index is higher than in the past trips so we didn't free camp even with lots of spots along the lake that would be good places.

The road is a typical lake road, sometimes following the lake, then climbing away and up, then back down, with beautiful scenery. At one steep climb, Patrick spotted sheep and cautioned about riding past the herd. Sure enough as we approached 3 huge dogs spotted us, one circling high and behind us, two coming toward us. Patrick waves the stick and shouts then tosses sausages behind us and as the dogs swarm the meat we cycle off.

The next stretch we cycle past women tending gaggles of geese rather than sheep and cows. Again we hit road construction and we cycled on the new part as much as we could, we finally reach town and ask directions for the Ogretmen Evi. We had heard of these "teacher's houses" where a room is available especially in towns with no hotel.

We will have one more night in Turkey before crossing the border into Georgia. Every stop Turkish people have asked us "how do you like Turkey". We say "very much especially the Turkish people." They are very friendly, helpful and curious."

Edited at later date: Ne mutlu Turum diyene is the motto of Turkey, "Happy is the one who says I am a Turk"

Along Cildir Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not all is pretty though. Here a garbage dump with puppies. They look nice now, but in less than a year they'll be chasing cyclists!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure what this says, but we are very close to the Armenian and Georgian borders so we are sure it is something nationalistic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nutella sandwich with a view.
Heart 0 Comment 0
togight we stay at the "teachers house" in Hanak.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our wamshowers host Cuneyd and his family in Hanak. We don't actually stay with them this evening, but Cuneyd has helped us greatly with advice.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 4,539 km (2,819 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0