to Hampi: arrived in backpacker-ville - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 22, 2016

to Hampi: arrived in backpacker-ville

"You need room?" a man asks as we arrive by the temple in Hampi. "Yes" Patrick says. We had looked on the internet for accommodations and found most fully booked. We follow him to his guesthouse, check it out, then Patrick goes in search for another place for comparison. We are planning on staying three nights, so we want a decent place. Patrick finds Hotel Samblu, a basic room on the small side with attached bathroom though a funky setup with shower having two separate shower heads, one hot water one cold water and mixed in the air. Bikes went on the rooftop.

Contrast is the word to describe today. Good road surface, bad road surface;

chaotic busy villages, quiet countryside with very little traffic; big city of Hospet with non stop truck traffic and finally arriving to the touristy Hippie Haven in Hampi.

We walk around in the afternoon and are asked by many tuk tuk drivers if we want a tour. One approaches Patrick with a map, we can understand him speaking English. We decide to go with him this afternoon to the "free" sites and sunset tour, and then tomorrow go with him in the morning to the other temple sites.

Finding the small roads again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Centralized watersupply for this small village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
People use colorful waterjugs and carts to transport the water back to their homes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick says, "I thought she was a she, but now I'm having doubts..."
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots and lots of cows. One of the first things Patrick saw this morning was a guy behind a buffalo collecting the dung with his bare hands as it was coming out...... A bit disturbing vision so early in the morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have our first coconut juice stop. Last night on some survival reality show we heard a guy called Bear Gryllis say there are more electrolytes in one of these than in a sports drink.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Making ladders and baskets from bamboo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful pigments
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at Hampi. Time for some R&R.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 11,907 km (7,394 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0