to Hajduszoboszlo - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2015

to Hajduszoboszlo

Just try to pronounce the name of the town we are tonight!

"I see the pool where the old people soak, let's go there" says Patrick. We reached the Thermal Camping early today, in spite of the headwind that plagued us all day except the last 15 kms. After pitching the tent, we head for the thermal pools. The warm soak is so nice on the muscles after cycling. It was quite a hike to get to the thermal pools from the campground. We walk past big water slides and swimming pools that are not yet open for the season. Meander past a pond with HUGE carp swimming and over a bridge, past food shops also not yet open and finally to the pools.

Today was a beautiful ride through the Hortobagyl National Park, a combination of prairie grasslands, farm land and marsh lands. "I think we are going to Beecher City", the road reminds Rachel so much of the Midwest where she grew up.

Many storks are on huge nests with young. One field had masses of storks, geese, cranes and crows. We pass herds of sheep being tended by the herder and his dog. The prairie has a different kind of beauty than the big mountains and rivers. We feel we are seeing a natural part of life in Hungary.

The Hungarian puszta in Hortobagy National Park
Heart 1 Comment 0
Storks are everywhere, busy building nest and keeping the eggs warm
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This flock rose as we passed. It is funny how they all jump straight into the air and then start flapping their wings to fly.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Big-sky country
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge in Hortobagy
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thermal Pools near our campground tonight. Lots of older Germans seem to be spending the spring here soaking it up.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 2,075 km (1,289 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0