to Goreme: a night bus to the center of Cappadocia - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2015

to Goreme: a night bus to the center of Cappadocia

We knew there wasn't enough time for us to cycle the whole length of Turkey, our tickets for Nairobi have been bought, and in addition, we'd like enough time to see Georgia. After talking with several Turkish "warmshowers" cyclists and others who have cycled here we decided to skip the western most part and take a bus to Goreme. Night buses are often popular among backpackers because they save you a night of accommodation costs. But they aren't much fun. We are picked-up at the travel agent where we bought the tickets, crammed our bikes and luggage in a small bus, took over an hour in Istanbul traffic to get to the main bus station. Then another hour and a half to get across one of the Bosporus bridges and down to the waterfront at Karakoy. About five hours after leaving our hostel, we can see Sultanahmet across the water, about a twenty minute ferry ride away....

The bus stops every four hours at huge bus stops where there is food, drink and toilets. About eleven hours after leaving the Istanbul Otogar we arrive in Goreme.

There is a lot to see around Goreme, we take two days to do organized tours of the landscape and underground cities of Cappadocia.

Getting off the night bus. They charged half the passenger fare for each bike. Seems reasonable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goreme with the Uchisar "castle" on the horizon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turkish panniers. Not sure if they are as waterproof as our orliebs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Seems like they are still working on carving out these rocks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the underground city, we go 7 floors down. This is a rolling door to close-off the entrance tunnel in times of trouble.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wall paintings in the underground churches. Many have been defaced, either by Ottoman Muslims or modern vandals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We're told some Starwars scenes were filmed amongst these rocks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0