To Gorakhpur: Ready to get to another country - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 3, 2016

To Gorakhpur: Ready to get to another country

"My hat" Patrick says and turns back to reclaim it after an oncoming truck blew the hat off his head. Some of the traffic comes pretty close and honking right in our ears. Each village we went through would have some sort of traffic jam. Trucks just stop and park wherever they want blocking one lane or the truck is left where it breaks down, today one truck was left in the middle of the road.

Buses pull over anytime anywhere to pickup or drop off passengers. Everyone jockeys for a position.

Landscape continues to be unending wheat fields, smokestacks for brick making, and along the edge of the road women and children kneading with bare hands the mixture of straw and cow dung into half round patties. Road surface beat us up again today, finally smoothing out toward the last half.

Just as the temperature is rising, we are in the outskirts of Gorakhpur and make our way through the city to Hotel President. All rooms are with air conditioning, only our room has no control, just on or off. After several attempts to get it fixed, we are moved to another room. Dinner of tandoori chicken and rice in the hotel restaurant.

One more day of cycling in India. Usually when leaving a country we try to adjust the money so not to have any left over or enough to make an exchange worthwhile. Since we will return to India after Nepal, we haven't had to do that this time, we'll stash the rupees for later.

Tomorrow Nepal!

Early morning Azamgargh. Huge hogs roaming the streets, we wonder what becomes of them...... Bacon!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Food stop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little one-time use clay chai cups.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick gets a slow leaking rear tire. Better to change the tube while we can select a nice shady area. We soon have an audience.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Using a bicycle crank to spin a rope.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 107 km (66 miles)
Total: 15,230 km (9,458 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0