to Gobabis: a great "Warmshowers" reception - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 15, 2015

to Gobabis: a great "Warmshowers" reception

"The final flat tire from Botswana," we are packed and rolling our bikes out of the grass from the campsite and Rachel's back tire is flat. We are just 1km into Namibia, so this counts as a Botswana flat.

After days and days of relatively flat road, we start the day with a climb. We slowly gain 200 meters throughout the day. The temperature is cooler reaching the upper 90's F.

The road is without a shoulder though the traffic is light except for big trucks that give us plenty of room. We make it to Gobabis around noontime, eat at Wimpy's before making our way to the address of our Warmshowers Host, Tinus.

After some shopping, we join the family driving 100kms to their family farm, "Sadie Marie", for an experience of Namibian farm life....and a needed rest day.

The warthog is Rachel's favorite African animal. Patrick thinks it has something to do with them naming the pig at Seattle's Pike Market Place Rachel. Rachel says it's because of the tail in the air when they run away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our shadows across Namibia, a new country for both of us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite the spread for a lunch break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see a fata morgana ahead, the road appears to disappear into water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dry bushland
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have reached Gobabis. Here we meet Tinus Labuschagne and his parents who have offered to take us to their farm about 100km south of here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 112 km (70 miles)
Total: 9,775 km (6,070 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0