To Gitutha: Short day to get us moving again - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2015

To Gitutha: Short day to get us moving again

"You must be my guests." We have made it to an intersection looking for our warmshowers host house. A motorcyle with a woman on the back rides up to us and stops. Very good timing, as we have cycled past their house. It is Francis' wife Monica with baby on her back and she walks us back to the house.

The day started with a lazy morning of finishing up pictures and final re-packing of the panniers. We will only have a short day to cycle. When planning and making contact with warmshowers hosts, we found out that our first stay with Gertrude was 20 kms out of Nairobi, so we have only 24 kms to cycle to our next host.

We cycle out a backroad, through villages with brightly decorated shops indicating butchery, salon, general store. Patrick has a sore throat and he sees a shop sign for Chemist. After some questioning, he is given honey & lemon lozenges with an antiseptic that makes his throat feel numb.

As we cycle by "Jambo, jambo, jambo" is called to us by almost everyone we see. At the WS host, we are welcomed by lovely African hospitality. We are served African tea, half and half milk and water with tea leaves added.

Francis and Monica take us on a walk of their farm. In the back of the house are 2 cows, 4-5 sheep, two kinds of chickens (one group are layers only). We walk through cornfields and past avocado trees. Rachel realized she had never really thought about how avocados grow!

The walk continues through neighbors property to a ridge. As we look out over the valley, school is out and a few children spot the mzungu's on the ridge. We spend some time waving to each other.

Later at dinner, Francis' mom demonstrates how the tea is made. On a small stove with wood charcoal, first the milk is brought to a boil, then water is poured in (about half and half) and brought back to boil, tea leaves are then added, the amount depending on how strong a tea flavor is wanted.

A very nice evening with the family.

After three weeks of tours and a new continent, we are ready to start cycling again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
We stop to eat lunch of peanut butter sandwiches and coke before reaching the house of our warmshowers host.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our warmshowers hosts, Francis and Monica with baby Melanie, take us for a walk around their farm
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zipora and John, parents of Francis and his sister as we prepare to eat dinner
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thank you for your hospitality Francis!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 4,862 km (3,019 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0