to Gillette: Onward - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2017

to Gillette: Onward

"That smoke is from South Dakota" one man said at the next table. "I think it's more from Montana" the other man says. We've made it to Moorcroft and Donna's Cafe just in time for second breakfast. Even with the delay of Patrick's flat tire just on the outskirts of the town. The sky has been hazy.

We said our goodbyes to Frank and Alex after fixing our oatmeal and having a cup of coffee. We met Frank's veterinary friend, Ginger, who is here to climb the tower. We've had a very relaxing time here at Franks beautiful lodge, but time to move on.

After dropping down to the entrance of the park and past many deer and buffalo, the road climbs. The wind is not a factor...yet. After Moorcroft, we take the information from another blog that the state route 51 has no shoulder and lots of traffic, and decide to ride on interstate 90. The wind picks up still more of a crosswind and rain threatens.

Our original plan was to camp in Gillette. The forecast is for rain tomorrow and we'll probably need to camp in Clearmont. The next day in Sheridan, we will meet up and stay with a Boise friend, Pearl. So we decide to take a motel room tonight and start out tomorrow with everything dry.

We check into the Mustang Motel, a very basic but cheap and clean room with good WiFi. Later we go to the Otherside Bar and grill almost next door, for a great hamburger. The best was the Boise/New Mexico game in Boise was just starting on ESPN.

The sun is rising behind dark clouds in the east as we leave Frank's Devils Tower Lodge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding the dirt road back into the park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding the dirt road back into the park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A doe watching over four fawns at the foot of Devils Tower. The other doe is just out of sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a western picture: bison in front of Devils Tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The junction with highway 14. We will follow this road across a big part of Wyoming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall colors in Wyoming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A ranch in Wyoming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This store is closed for ever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small town church in the middle of nowhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A descent onto the plains around Pine Haven Reservoir.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oil derricks in Wyoming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 42 dollar room at the Mustang Motel in Gillette. Great value. In the distance, the "Otherside Bar and Restaurant"
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 105 km (65 miles)
Total: 39,480 km (24,517 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0