to Franklin: Dodging a storm front on the Katy Trail - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2017

to Franklin: Dodging a storm front on the Katy Trail

“Look at this,” Patrick says as we step out on the balcony and see the storm front coming through. This was incredible to watch the front move through like in time lapse video, only it happens in real time. In a matter of minutes most of the storm has moved through with only wind behind the front. As it calmed down, though still with dark clouds in our direction, we thank Nick for his hospitality and set off.

The big dark cloud hangs over us for the first 10 miles to Hartsburg. Here we stop at Dottie’s Cafe for a second breakfast. As the ride progresses the clouds go away. On the trail, there are many more cyclists almost like a Sunday cyclovia in Colombia. We ride along the Missouri River on our left and cliffs on our right. There are some caves and several camp spots from the Lewis and Clark expedition. The dark clouds stay with us for most of the day, but surprisingly we do not get rained upon.

We arrive in Franklin early in the afternoon. The “Katy’s Roundhouse Campground” is large and sprawling, but the tenters have a large grass area in the trees to themselves. There are no assigned spots. We pick a spot in the shade of some trees next to another cyclist. His name is Chuck and he is on his way from Omaha to Key West where he lives. He immediately offers us cold beers. He has been here for a couple of days waiting for his wife to join him for the eclipse tomorrow. To make life easier he bought a large cooler and stocked it with beer and ice. Chuck owns a charter fishing boat business in Key West and he is a hoot. Patrick makes a run to town to get some of our own beer and we can use his cooler to keep it cold. Later, after his wife Sue arrives with a rental car Rachel makes a run to Walmart with them for some more supplies.

When it starts to get dark the band starts up near the reception building and we have a good time listening to a nice selection of seventies and eighties rock songs. The campground owner plays drums and later risks his fingers possibly his life by setting off an impressive fireworks show. A nice evening on the eve of the “Great American Eclipse”.

Ominous stormfront closing in on Jefferson City.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After the stormfront passes it leaves threatening clouds over the capital city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down the Katy Trail. It feels like fall to us, but locals warn us it is way to early for that. Even September can turn uncomfortably hot and humid.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice hotel storefront in Hartzburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside Dotty's cafe in Hartzburg. Great food and friendly people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Hartzburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many rivers flowing into the Missouri.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coopers Landing, a rough looking settlement right on the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lewis and Clark came this way too.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old photo of Katy Trail traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Limestone cliffs along the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old photo of Missouri River traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The only tunnel on the Katy Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Katy's Roundhouse Campground in Franklin. Our neighbor Chuck is a cyclist too and offers us a cold beer. We are instant friends!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 37,676 km (23,397 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0