to Fatehpur Sikri: short day to an ancient city - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 26, 2016

to Fatehpur Sikri: short day to an ancient city

Today being such a short day in distance, we leave at 9am after breakfast. Also a buffet, when we were directed to go upstairs by the manager, Patrick tells him about our 450 buffet dinner where Rachel only had soup. He charges us only for only breakfast. This "can do" attitude is new to us since being in India. That's the upside to increase tourism.

Not far down the road, we start seeing lines of trucks parked on both sides of the road. Then we see the red sandstone columns welcoming us to a new state, Uttar Pradesh and leaving Rajasthan. We can see the ruins on the hill as we get close to Fatehpur Sikri and make our way to the Goverhdan Tourist Complex. This stretch of road is a zoo with tourist buses. After settling into the room and cleaning up, we wait until late afternoon to go sightseeing.

Fatehpur Sikri is an ancient city built during the reign of Emperor Akbar by the Mughal empire in 1571 to 1585. The city is a UNESCO world heritage site and an Indo-Islamic masterpiece built of red-sandstone. Abandoned shortly after Akbar's death because of water shortages. The elaborate marble inlay work at Badshahi Gate is said to have inspired the Taj Mahal 82 years later.

Tomorrow we see the Taj Mahal!

Next state: Uttar Pradesh
Heart 0 Comment 0
Same sh*t though...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fatehpur Sikri on the horizon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Fatehpur Sikri through the Agra Gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We enter the complex through the Victory Gate of the Jama Mashid. Shoes need to be removed to enter the mosque. Goats and pigeons have free reign though and do their thing in the huge courtyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Jama Mashid is the white marble Tomb of Shaikh Salim Chrishti.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pachisi Courtyard with the Diwan-i-Khas building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ornate column inside Diwan-i-Khas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Korbel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ornamental pool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back through the Kings Gate into Jama Mashid.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dramatic sky over Jama Mashid.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This still is an active mosque, people are praying in several locations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving through the Victory Gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wheel builders at work.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 km (14 miles)
Total: 14,975 km (9,299 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0