to Eldoret: the other half of our restday - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2015

to Eldoret: the other half of our restday

Iten is known for its high altitude training of long distance runners and the Kenyan Flyers cycling team. We have a buffet breakfast with Jon, a german runner staying at the Kerio View Hotel and later say goodbye to Jean Paul, the owner before we set off.

Today is the other half of a rest day. We are going only 33kms to Eldoret, making tomorrows ride into Kitale 70kms. We continue riding on the plateau and gently descend to rolling hills. We pick up a cyclist training along the way and he rides with us until the outskirts of Eldoret. All along the road are furniture making stalls and much activity with people walking and traffic.

This is most people we've seen walking since returning to Africa. Gone are people riding bicycles or people crammed into the back of a pickup truck or big buses filled to capacity and stuff stacked just as high on the roof. All of these are replaced with matatus (mini-vans) and motorcycles.

We find a decent hotel that is basic and clean. Eat samosas and coke for lunch delivered via room service. Laundry is done. Pictures uploaded. Indian food for dinner.

With Jean Paul, the owner of Kerio View Hotel. If you are not traveling on a tight budget, this is a very nice place to stay. If you are on a tight budget, it is still a good place for high quality food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Iten, home of the Champions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel dropping a racer on the downhill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Local bikeshop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cell phones are everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Eldoret
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mobile sharpening shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
People in Kenya are awesome.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our room at the White Highlands Inn.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 5,285 km (3,282 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0