to El Chal: Going a little further - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2017

to El Chal: Going a little further

"Passe" the woman cyclist says and waving to stop, as Rachel flies downhill then squeezing the brakes to stop. Patrick has already stopped. We met Annie, a warmshowers host that Patrick had contacted with no reply. "I've been on vacation" she says. We talk awhile and explain that our schedule is tight and we need to go further today. She gives a recommendation for a place to eat for a second breakfast.

We aren't in a hurry this morning, though we are looking at completing the climb from yesterday, another 300 meters. That's not counting then all the little climbs on the rest of todays ride. At distance marker 360 we pass the Hotel Nakun and this looks like a nice place. Two kilometers on at a junction the hill steepens, reaching Comedor El mirador, then at 365 just when you think this is the top, around the corner still higher are cell towers. That's the top. Then a fantastic downhill, halfway down is when we met Annie who is climbing up with another cyclist. We talk for awhile. Continuing downhill at distance marker 370 at a junction, there is a shop and more shops all along to Poptun. Annie and friend catch up with us just as we reach Poptun. The last few kilometers into the town is a big loop around the airport runway. We stop for a second breakfast at Comedor Don Blanky. It's a big meal and we are hoping this doesn't come back to haunt us.

We aimed for Sabeneta and when we got to town we stopped for a drink. Patrick checked the GPS for the hotel and asked a local and found it was only a 100 meters or so down the road. This would be another desperation destination. The hotel is very basic. We decide to continue on to El Chal.

When we reached El Chal, the first stop was at the Hotel where Curtis and Jenny were told they were full. We are offered a room, but decided to check out Hotelito Bienestar first. This room is also very basic and 200Q. We leave and just out of the driveway at the main road, a woman stops us and explains another auto hotel out of town. While talking with her the owner of the Hotelito rides out on a motorcycle and now offers another room for 150Q, plus WiFi that was not available earlier. We go back and check it out and it's much nicer, though up a flight of stairs that are a bit scary.

We go for tacos at a roadside cart for dinner. Thinking they are the same as we've had before, 3 for 10, we order 8. Then we see her roll out the tortilla that is like a burrito size and realize that we only needed 5 (3 for Patrick, 2 for Rachel).

Tomorrow, Flores and a tour to Tikal.

Sherwin Willians wants to cover the plantet with their paint...... Whomever came up with this slogan and graphic should be shot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
VIP Auto Hotel, looks like a fine place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we climb we get good views over the hills. A gaucho passes by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hills of Northern Guatemala and into Belize.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing the big hill of today's ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had contacted a warmshowers host in Poptun about a week ago but had not heard back. It turns out Annie was on vacation and only got our message yesterday. We meet her on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For some reason Ixobel still flies the American flag.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Annie recommends a Comedor for breakfast. We order omelettes and get a huge second breakfast meal. This is the "before" picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And the "after" picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green hills, a farm and dark clouds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stop for a break in Sabaneta and check-out the hotel here. It would do for one night, but we feel good enough to continue to El Chal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home made child seat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clouds are building over the green Guatemalan country side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
School bus in El Chal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"I can't put my finger on it, but somehow I feel this stair does not meet code......." Patrick says.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 33,988 km (21,107 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0