to El Bordo: on the "Bouncy Castle of Health" - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 13, 2017

to El Bordo: on the "Bouncy Castle of Health"

"I need a great-great granny gear" Rachel says after a couple of climbs. Many cyclist choose to do the "Trampolina de Muerte" road between Pasto and Popayan. It is a scenic, but longer and partially unpaved road that loops east from the Pan American. We decided to stick with the asphalt despite the busier traffic. James Hall, a cyclist before us christened this section the "Bouncy Castle of Health" in contrast to the "trampoline of death", so that's what it is for us. All ups and downs today. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/12618

We set the alarm and are on the road shortly after 6:00. It is already hot, even though fog and clouds obscure the sun a little while longer. As the clouds break it gets even hotter. Fortunately a good part of the route has trees on both sides that provide shady spots to rest.

We start with a couple kilometer downhill then cross the Rio Mayo river and start climbing. There is nothing for the next 35 km except for a few houses until reaching the junction of 2503 that merges with the pan-american. We take a couple of breaks to drink cold gatorade, have the last of our sandwiches and recover. The next stretch goes through a couple of dodgy towns and we don't stop. The second town, there was a decent looking hostel at a gas station.

At the foot of the final climb, we meet Uli, a German cyclist who started in Inuvik Canada last summer and is headed for Ushuaia. We do what cyclists do when meeting each other....we share route information. He graciously gives us his Panama-Costa Rica map, then we go our separate ways. There are lots of watermelons being sold at roadside stands. On one part of a steeper section of the climb, a man gives Patrick slices of watermelon, this makes for a very refreshing tasty treat! A little later, a car stops and gives Patrick a bottle of water. It was a day of gifts.

We reach El Bordo and are done for. There is another "Hotel Los Balcones" and for 35,000 COP ($12) we get a decent room with cold shower and good WiFi. A couple of cold beers and that cold shower makes things right again.

River crossing, fog is still hanging over the mountain sides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another bridge. A climb is waiting on the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clouds clinging to the mountain sides.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside shops selling miniature garden furniture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Looks like a hot day to me," Patrick says.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting fruit and great views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The second part of the day the road is shaded by nice large trees. It is still hot, but it helps to be out of the sun a bit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet Uli and take a break at a restaurant to compare routes and exchange information. Uli cycled the route we are planning to take to the north of Colombia. He has been cycling almost a year, started in the far north of Canada last summer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Group photo with Uli.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick's thoughts. "Kill 'm all" I'd say.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another hotel "Los Balcones" in El Bordo.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 30,375 km (18,863 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0