to Domos: dodging snails on the Danube River biketrail - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2015

to Domos: dodging snails on the Danube River biketrail

The rain started sometime during the night. When we wake, the rain is a light drizzle. For the first time this trip we get to try out one of the features of our new Hilleberg Staika tent: we take down the inner tent first while leaving the rainfly up. This is a great feature! All our stuff stays dry while packing up while under the dome of the rainfly.

We finish packing in the activity/kitchen room next to where we camped. After breakfast a light rain continues and we set off to find the Eurovelo Route 6 along the Danube River.

Then, the dodging of snails on the Danube Rivertrail begins! Some are huge and can see, some we only hear the crunching. We tried to avoid as many as possible. The trail is first asphalt and on the dike. Then sometimes it disappears and takes us back on the road, then meanders back along a forest path.

We cross the bridge at Sturovo into Hungary again following the Danube bike trail until it stops and we are on the road again. We see a sign for it 51 kms from Budapest, but decide to stay on the road to Domos and camp. Tomorrow we will reach Budapest and take a few days to see the city and rest for the next stretch continuing across Hungary to Romania.

It's a rainy morning along the Danube River biketrail and snails have decided in the thousands to cross to the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sometimes it gets crunchy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice bikeroad while it lasts. Very straight though and not that many views of the river itself.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the sections where we are right on the waterside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Found a covered fishing / picnic area right on the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Sturovo we get a nice view across the river of the 18th largest church in the world, the Baselique of Esztergom
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cross the Danube River and leave Slovakia to enter Hungary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Only two nights in Slovakia. Time for another country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boat traffic on the Danube near Domos where the river makes a large bend through the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,787 km (1,110 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0