To Dehradun: on the move again - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2016

To Dehradun: on the move again

The upside to rest days is the time provided to rejuvenate physically and mentally. Then there's the downside. Eventually the day comes to start cycling again. And sometimes it hurts, even when it's a short distance.

First descending down to the town from the guesthouse, we turn onto the Rishikesh road and have a few steep climbs through a forested area. Midway to Dehradun, we stop for a break of chai and the apple strudel we bought yesterday. We wanted to sit at the tables outside, but the shop owner insisted we sit inside with the fan. Just as well, there were lots of flies outside.

A section of the road is a four lane highway which is nice not to have oncoming traffic. Then about 10kms out of Dehradun, the traffic increases, and this is when it's nice to have booked a hotel and can zero in on a specific destination. We check into Hotel Abhinandun Grand near the railway station. There are three hotels with Grand in their names set back in a small shopping mall, if not booked we would never have even seen it as an option. The room is very nice and a wonderful hot shower gets us out the door again before noon to go and explore.

There is a large Tibetan Buddhist community 10 kms South of Dehra Dun in Clement Town with the Mindrolling monastery. We take a #5 Vikram, a tuk-tuk on steroids, for 40 rupees. A Vikram is longer than a tuk-tuk, with bench seats face each other. Meant to seat 3, the Indians can get 4 to a seat and a child standing in the middle, many with packages or bags. Not to be forgotten the front seat by the driver can also seat two in a one seater.

After lunch of chow mein and momos for 80 rupees (70rupees = 1 USD) we go explore the town. Due to Government regulations foreigners are no longer allowed to stay overnight in Clement Town. This is a shame for the town would benefit having backpackers stay here. The monastery has a five storey Great Stupa, believed to be the world tallest stupa, and a 35meter gold Buddha Statue dedicated to the Dalai Lama.

We wander around the grounds and there we see a watertower with a sign that it was built with the aid of Germany. Walking around the gardens surrounding the Giant Stupa, Patrick says, "The Germans must have helped them with their signs too". (Germany is know for the verboten signs) There are signs everywhere that in contradiction to Buddhism tolerance: Please put garbage in dustbin; You are under CCTV surveillance; Playing and running on the lawn around the stupas is strictly forbidden; Eating peanuts is prohibited; Please do not sit on the stairs; No public display of affection; Silence please; No loud music or playing around on campus; Do not touch plants and trees; Management committee will not be responsible for any loss, theft or accident.

A ride back to the hotel and we rest a bit to let the day cool down before heading to explore the Paltan Bazaar, a pedestrian mall and walk to the Clock tower. Markets are all so colorful and there was plenty to see. A shoppers paradise with so many shops lining the main and the many side streets.

The road runs through a forested area but despite the warning signs we have given up on seeing wild elephants in India.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traffic chaos in Dehradun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We booked this hotel on booking.com. There are three hotels in this building, at first sight it doesn't look good, but the room is very nice and good value.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mindrolling monastery, about 10km south of Dehradun. This stupa claims to be the tallest in the world. It all feels a bit sterile though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 35 meters high Buddha, dedicated to the Dalai Lama.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back in Dehradun we walk through the bazaar. Vegetable sellers always make for nice photos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So do spice sellers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 16,935 km (10,517 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0