to Darby: Across the Continental Divide - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 30, 2017

to Darby: Across the Continental Divide

The weather sure changed overnight. We wake up when it is just getting light; these days already close to eight in the morning. Our foodstuffs have survived the night safe from bears stashed in the outhouse, we had no issues either. The clear skies we went to bed with last evening have disappeared; grey dark clouds have filled the valley. As we pack-up the first raindrops fall, it turns to a light rain as we continue climbing up to the pass. The first part continues to be a very gradual up, the last five kilometers or so get a little steeper, but nothing too bad. As we reach to summit of Chief Joseph Pass it’s a full on rainstorm. We take a couple summit photos and go down the other side of the Continental Divide.

A couple of kilometers take us to highway 95 and Lost Trail Pass. On our right is the “Welcome to Montana” sign, on our left we can see the “Welcome to Idaho” sign. We could be home in about five days if we turned south here, instead we will first go north to Missoula. There are about 12 downhill kilometers to chill us down pretty good, but the pedaling on the flatter section to Sula just does not warm us back up. We are shaking pretty good when we reach the gas station / store / restaurant and campground. We order a second breakfast and have hot coffee, but it takes a half hour before we stop shaking enough to drink our coffee without spilling.

The rain continues, but after warming up at the cafe the rest of the ride into Darby is not quite as miserable. The fall colors of the foliage along the river is stunning. Patrick punctures a tube when he hits a large rock on the shoulder, but that is quickly replaced. We have good directions to our host Curtis’s house and are warmly welcomed. Curtis is a “warmshowers” host right on the Trans-Am route, plus he gets a lot of hikers traveling the Continental Divide Trail. We are guests number 103 and 104 for him this season. He treats us to a warm house, bed and a great meal with bison steak. Later in the evening he lines up bottles of mead for tasting.

The Continental Divide at Chief Joseph Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Idaho to our south, Montana to our north.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Miserable and still smiling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downhill from Lost Trail Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick hits a rock and punctures a rear tire.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick has a photo of this Medicine Tree twenty eight years ago. It has changed quite a bit
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at Curtis's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Curtis mead tasting room.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 40,484 km (25,141 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0