to Custer: onto the Mickelson Trail - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2017

to Custer: onto the Mickelson Trail

"There are bison on the road ahead" said the woman as she stopped the camper and rolled down her window. "Thanks!" Rachel says and rides up ahead to Patrick where he was taking a telephoto picture of bison on the hillside. We had just crossed into the Wind Cave National Park.

The day starts with another flat tire for Patrick. But the good news is that he was finally able to locate the small wire that was causing the flats. We ride through Hot Springs and keep climbing into Wind Cave National Park, a beautiful high plateau with views in all directions. The grasses are gold this time of year, we see buffalo and lots of prairie dogs. The road keeps climbing until finally a downhill to Pringle.

At Pringle, the hope of a second breakfast is once again dashed. There is a restaurant with the familiar "Welcome bikers" banner that doesn't open until 11am. So we head over to the general store, fix a sandwich and cold drinks.

Just down the street we hop onto the Mickelson Trail at Milepost 32 then spot the Bicycle Monument and go off for a photo. Not sure what to think of this place, it really is just a large pile of discarded bikes with just a little thought put into its design.

After two miles riding on gravel with the trail parallel to the road, we decide to ride on asphalt. Not much sense in riding the gradual climbing trail if you have to listen to the road noise anyways. But at Milepost 34 at the White Elephant Trailhead, the trail looks to diverge away from the road, so we hop on again until a couple of miles from Custer. The surface is okay, no goatheads and nice scenery.

The map shows a campground about two kilometers outside of town, but nothing near the center. We briefly consider getting a motel room, but two locally owned places we check-out are each more than $80. We are in tourist country. To our surprise there is a small campground near downtown though. French Creek CG is basic, but there are nice tent sites, showers and WiFi for $20.

After clean-up and setting up camp we walk around downtown and have a burger for lunch. In the evening we return to enjoy some South Dakota ales and a little football.

Sunrise over Fall Creek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling art in Hot Springs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Golden prairie and the Black Hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
South Dakota State Seal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cross through a corner of Wind Cave National Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buffalo in Wind Cave NP.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prairie dogs in Wind Cave NP.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling through Wind Cave NP.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheap accommodation in Pringle SD.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Impressive rocks near Pringle SD.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the bicycle monument in Pringle SD. Not sure what to think of this: it is just a big pile of bent and discarded bikes. In a pinch there would be some parts that could be scavenged.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Mickelson Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Picture perfect farmhouse and tree in fall colors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Mickelson Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge on the Mickelson Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a break on the Mickelson Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old automobile resting along the Mickelson Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rocks along the Mickelson Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Custer courthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Corner building in Custer SD.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With Sturgis nearby the Black Hills are a magnet for motorcycles year round.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 39,132 km (24,301 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0