to Columbus: First day of fall - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2017

to Columbus: First day of fall

In the morning it is raining lightly, cold, overcast and dreary. After heating up water for our oatmeal and coffee on our stove outside the room, we roll out and head further north. There is no sight of the mountains today, just heavy clouds to our west. At Rockvale we stop at the “fort” casino and restaurant for a second breakfast. The waitress tells us about road closures and early winter in Yellowstone on this first day of fall. It is cold and wet down here, but a lot worse up higher.

After eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and pancakes, we are ready to ride again. Our goal today is Columbus, back again on the I-90 corridor. At the southern entrance to town, right along the Yellowstone River is a nice, free municipal campground. We were considering maybe splurging again on a room, but there is a large shelter to keep us out of the rain, and it does feel a little warmer down here. While Rachel sets up our tent under the shelter, Patrick rides into town to the IGA to do our shopping. We’ll have leftovers from yesterday’s “special” cubed potatoes, fried chicken and some vegetables all smothered in cheese and country gravy. We added a fried egg. It actually tastes better the second day.

A six pack of Deschutes Black Butte Porter keeps us warm, we take a nap in the tent, cook up our meal and disappear back into the tent. The rain has picked up his evening and it seems to get dark early today. Tomorrow another wet ride in the forecast.

Fromberg Montana first and only impression.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Visiting with other customers at the Fort restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A dreary ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside art in Joliet Montana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old towtruck in Joliet Montana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside art in Joliet Montana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flat tire on the way to Columbus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storms brewing over the Montana country side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned farm house in Montana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The downhill ride to the Yellowstone River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camping in the shelter in Columbus.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 39,913 km (24,786 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0