to Chonzhy: not an easy departure from Charyn Canyon - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2016

to Chonzhy: not an easy departure from Charyn Canyon

"Nice to see a gas station sell more than just gas" Rachel says as we pull into a gas station 4 kms from Chonzhy. In Tajikistan and Kyrgystan, the gas stations were just that, sold only gas. Akcar was the last village and shop yesterday before heading down into the canyon and nothing since. Except maybe at the ecopark cafe at the bottom of Charyn Canyon, a nice place but no one there, probably a tour group place.

The day starts with a 3 km climb out of the canyon. We knew there would be a few sections of walking and especially the last hill out, so we decided to wear our keens and just walk the whole way. We had time to see the rock formations and enjoy the view and take more pictures. The last hill up took us both pushing each bike up one at a time.

Then 1 km to the entrance and we turn right on the road for another 19 kms back to the main road. The first 10 kms are surprisingly not bad, hard packed few washboards occasionally loose gravel. Then when reaching the moguls, road becomes very corrugated. We stop for a food break at the sign marking the road to Charyn Canyon.

"This is the third time we've climbed out of this canyon" Patrick says as we reach the high point. After descending and crossing the river, the road follows the river a couple kms then climbs back up to the plain.

We have a slight headwind, but make good time. At a large junction just before Chonzy we find a western looking gas station with all the refreshments we want. Sitting there and looking around we mention this could just as well be Mountain Home Idaho. The Israelis we met in Karkakol recommended the Nargiz Hotel so that's where we head. We get a nice room with attached bathroom and there even is wifi! Lunch is just down the street where we try the local Kazakh dish of lagman noodles. Not bad.

Afterwards we walk back towards the bazaar to find a bank and try to money exchange the Kyrgyzstan Coms. No luck here either, the bank only wants Euros, dollars or rubles.

Road into Charyn Canyon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rock formations and chimneys in Charyn Canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice rock formation in Charyn Canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Charyn River flowing past our campsite.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Charyn Canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is quite the push to get out of the canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chimney at Charyn Canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Charyn Canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back onto the plateau, a 19km sand road takes us to the paved road to Chonzhy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding on the plateau near Charyn Canyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This road must be tough when wet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back at the paved road. We saw this sign before on one of William Bennet's photos. He passed by here last winter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Final climb out of the Charyn River valley. Almost in Chonzhy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 21,089 km (13,096 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0