To Chintheche: London Lodge on the beach - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2015

To Chintheche: London Lodge on the beach

We climb up and away from Lake Malawi back to the main road. The ride is easy today with only small inclines and good road surface. One long stretch was among acres and acres of rubber tree plants not yet being tapped, then a stretch of very young trees and finally through a forest of mature rubber trees. Then, back to the dry landscape.

Our one rest break, we stop at a small shop for a fanta. We watch as a teacher leads his class to teach them how to cross the road at the crosswalk and how to walk along the road in traffic. He has the class all turn together toward us and wave. People are very friendly.

We reach Chintheche sooner than expected, ride through town to shop for a few things for tomorrow then find the London Lodge. The lodge is about 700 meters down a sandy road and right on a beautiful white sandy beach. This was a short day but then sets up the next two days to be not as long. Short days like this are like half of a rest day.

The restaurant at the lodge fixes us lunch of fish, rice and potatoes.

South of Nhkata Bay we ride through some rubber plantations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buying bananas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guys just stopped to chat. He has baskets of small fish.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The older rubber trees are being tapped.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I bought a rubberband ball from some kids earlier and pass it on to this little guy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we sit and have our lunch a teacher brings out his class. Not to look at the Muzungu's, but to teach them the fine art of crossing a road using a crosswalk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Malawi at London Lodge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fisherman mending his nets.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the fishing seems to occur at night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Woman doing laundry at the lake side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This kid has awesome ball control. The ball is made of plastic bags.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As the sun sets the sky and lake turn a similar color and the horizon disappears.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 7,495 km (4,654 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0