to Chiang Saen: along the Mekong River - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 2, 2016

to Chiang Saen: along the Mekong River

"It opens at 8 am, or you have to pay a convenience fee" a British couple backpacking tell us. They are waiting by the passport control.

A few minutes later, we are in line for the exit stamp from Laos. Through the door, we are then told we are not allowed to cycle across the friendship bridge and no man's land. We buy a ticket, 25 baht each and pay 100 baht per bike. Not really that much, 35 baht to a dollar, just the inconvenience of unloading the bikes and getting them into the baggage compartment of the bus. Then reloading the bikes to go through passport control and entry stamp for Thailand. Patrick is nervous about where the stamp will be, he has only one page left that we need for the Burma visa until a new passport in Bangkok. It all works out though. We see two cyclists cycling across the bridge toward Laos.

Thailand drives on the left side, so we have to get used to that again. We head to Chiang Khong, stop for coffee and breakfast and head upstream along the Mekong. Across the river we can see the town we stayed in last night, not more then five hundred meters away after cycling 20km. All thanks to the new bridge.

The road "undulates" quite a bit, no easy cruising along the river for us. There is one particular steep and hot climb of about 300 meters vertical, then a downhill and mostly flat to Chiang Saen. We find a motel-style guesthouse for 400 bath, about 12 dollars. No more Beer Lao, we must switch to Chang, Leo or Singha. In the evening we walk along the Mekong where street vendors have set up their food stalls and have a barbecued fish, shrimp and sticky rice.

Morning fog over the Mekong. We have to ride about 10km south to cross the new Friendship Bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Exiting Laos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Thailand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thai temples. At first they cannot go unnoticed, after a while you have seen so many you don't feel the need to get a photo of every one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stop at a coffee place in Chiang khong and find awesome pancakes with chocolate, banana and pressure cream!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Thailand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road follows the Mekong, but there are several nasty climbs, even before we start the "big one" for today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet Paul, a Frenchman who just started off in Chiang Mai and is planning to ride back to Paris.
Heart 0 Comment 0
During the big climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View back towards the Mekong while we sweat our way up the steep hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Thai king died recently. Everywhere are signs of mourning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trash can made from old tires. Rachel wants one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View across the Mekong to Laos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street vendors have set up their carts along the Mekong and are barbecuing fish.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riverside seating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back to Laos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steet vendor food cart. Very good and cheap.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have barbecued fish and shrimp for dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 25,501 km (15,836 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0