to Chasquitambo - 700m: attack of the sandflies - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 13, 2017

to Chasquitambo - 700m: attack of the sandflies

We are on the road early, first back to the center of town, then on the old Pan Americana until it rejoins the new road after about 12 kilometers. Only a couple of kilometers further is our turn inland. The valley is green and full of sugarcane fields. At first the road climbs very little, but slowly the grade gets steeper. Today we have a good tailwind though and we make good time.

We stop in the plaza of a small town and have a cold drink with our apple pies. We have stocked up on goodies the last couple of days. Our expectation is that there will not be many luxuries until we reach Huarez, about 200km from here and 4000 meters higher. While we mind our own business munching on our treats we get attached by hordes of hungry sandflies. They are all over our legs and it is not until later that we realize how bad we are bitten. In the evening our legs and arms are covered with itching red welts.

The sugarcane gives way to orchards as the valley narrows and the road starts to climb a little more. We have put on bug spray that only helps a little, and keep moving as best as we can. Right where googlemaps showed it to be is the restaurant and hospedaje "Tambo del Chasqui". A very nice place with good food and friendly owners. We carry our gear and bikes to our second floor room, have lunch and relax for the afternoon, only to re-appear for dinner. There are some interesting rock formation on the nearby hills, but after having been mauled by the local wildlife today we preferred staying indoors.

Trash collection in Barranca.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plaza and church in Paramonga.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is where we leave the coastal Pan Americana Highway and head east into the mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Village square in Tunan. We take a break to eat something and are attacked by hordes of sandflies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Slowly climbing through a very dry landscape.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rocks and a few cactus plants are all that grow here. It's never a good sign when an uphill is posted when you are already climbing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at our hotel for the night. We had spotted it on googlemaps and were hoping hard that it indeed existed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 27,959 km (17,363 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0