To Chang Wat: Welcome to the "rubber triangle" - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 5, 2016

To Chang Wat: Welcome to the "rubber triangle"

We skipped the golden triangle, but found the rubber triangle today.

Before we leave Chiang Rai we have one more western breakfast with eggs, ham, toast and a banana pancake, then we head south. We had a great iced coffee at the White Temple yesterday so we just have to stop for another one when we pass by. The main highway south from Chiang Rai is fairly busy, but there is a wide shoulder and drivers are courteous to us.

After about 25km we turn on highway 118 towards Chiang Mai, traffic gets heavier and the shoulder a little narrower, but except for the constant noise cycling is okay. We meet a Thai cyclist from near Bangkok, and a little later a Swiss couple that have been on the road for eight months. They did the Pamir Highway this September. We might see them again in Burma.

There are no big hills today, just three small steep ones close together, and a long very gradual uphill. We find the "Cabbages and Condoms" restaurant and Inn. It is run by a non-profit organization that tries to make condoms as easily accessible as cabbages, hence the name. The place is very nice, a little more expensive than what we like to spend, but it is worth it. Also, all profits stay in the community.

Tomorrow, Chiang Mai!

On our way out of Chiang Rai we pass by the White Temple again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today is a day of meeting other cyclists. First we meet a Thai guy on a two week loop, a little later this Swiss couple that rode through the Pamirs in September, could not get a China visa and ended up flying to Bangkok.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Us with the Swiss cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our bike shoes are worn out. Patrick had completely worn the front sole off and holes were appearing. So he fixed it by epoxy-gluing on a part of the blue flip-flops that have lasted since Uganda.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pad Thai for lunch. We love the food!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small town with an impressive entrace gate in honour of the royal family.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We found the C&C resort on googlemaps and decided to check it out. Yes, that's what C&C stands for.....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at the "rubber triangle".
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 97 km (60 miles)
Total: 25,659 km (15,934 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0