to Cardenas: from one Oxxo to the next - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2017

to Cardenas: from one Oxxo to the next

"On one side of the city we are told how dangerous the area is, and on the other side we are given drinks" Patrick reflects as we've stopped at yet another Pemex gas station with an Oxxo shop after circling Villahermosa.

At first light we set out and pass by the market just starting up. A dead pig is being unloaded from one truck and crates of plucked chickens and chicken parts from another. We back track 4km to the main road. After merging into the road we see an auto hotel other cyclists have stayed. Isolated but probably an easy taxi ride to a nearby restaurant.

Our first break is at an Oxxo shop as part of the Pemex gas station. They have cold chocolate milk! Kristen Armstrong, gold medalist in time trail cycling who lives in Boise did some chocolate milk commercials. We figure she would be proud of us.

Dark clouds are threatening from behind. We near Villahermosa and a stopped car waves us to stop. A Dutch woman who has lived in Mexico for years and runs a bed and breakfast warns of how dangerous this area is with kidnappings and the traffic being unsafe. We thank her for her concern and advice and continue on. We reach a section where the signs for Cardenas Ruta 180 turning off the main road. We realize too late this is a bypass of Villahermosa and adds 5km to today's distance. After merging back to the main road, we exit to another Oxxo for a break. The city traffic was pretty intense. As we pulled into the parking area, a man just leaving in his car stops and gives us two large Electrolyte drinks. For back road suggestions in and out of Villahermosa, check Curtis and Jenny Shaw's blog DEF: Down Even Further-Mexico & Central America http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/CJBikeTours2017

We stay on the frontage road as the main road has high overpasses periodically. Eventually everything merges together. The road is relatively flat, not very exciting landscape or pleasant cycling. Just clicking off kilometers and getting closer to home. About 20km to go, we stop at another Oxxo for another chocolate milk. We stop to check out Hotel Miro, and whether there's a restaurant nearby, if there's hot water, TV and WiFi. With all the criteria met we check in for 400 pesos. The room is basic,we have to ask for the sheets to be changed, but best of all a roll in room.

One of three Oxxo's we stopped at today. Every gas station seems to have one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly Dutch lady passes and pulls over to wait for us. She warns us about the road and other dangers in Villahermosa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not the most pleasant of cycling, but this is pretty much what today was like.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the other side of Villahermosa this friendly guy gives us two re-hydration drinks. He says he saw us earlier on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Niro Hotel in Cardenas. Pretty basic and a little dirty, but there is a restaurant and Oxxo shop nearby.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 106 km (66 miles)
Total: 34,583 km (21,476 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0