to Brad: this road will never get finished - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2015

to Brad: this road will never get finished

"The time of the bun is over", Patrick says, mimicking The Lord of Rings time of the elves. The search for good bread doesn't look promising, only white bread, but it will do.

We are not impressed by the Romanian drivers, they are not as attentive or patient with sharing the road. But then, the roads are not very good and that may contribute to their impatience. Construction is either ongoing in stretches or abandoned in most of the road. Stretches have so many different materials used as patches, it looks like a test patch area to decide which surface to use.

The steepest and longest section of hills are early in the day. The countryside is dotted with churches, some with older wooden churches next to a newer looking church. The landscape is of distant rolling forested hills. The wind helps us most of the day, then 5 kms from our destination a rainstorm. We wait it out for awhile, then decide to continue on to Brad. We check into a guesthouse, settle into the room and the rain stops.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The road from Stei to Brad has been under construction for five years, there isn't much activity and several new sections are already disintegrating. Good news though is that traffic is very light on this "red" road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing under an election banner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More patches than existing paving.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly guy wishes us "bon route".
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of small churches in the country side today. Dark clouds are building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This doesn't look good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seeking shelter and having coffee while the rain falls.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 2,332 km (1,448 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0